Serves 4 (makes 2 large pies or 4 small pies)
- 50g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp each curry powder, ground ginger, garam marsala
- 1 green chilli, thinly sliced
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry vermouth (or white wine)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 lime, finely grated and juiced
- 1/2 cup (60g) baby frozen peas, thawed
- 800g skinless blue cod fillets, cut into 3cm pieces (or any firm, white fish, eg.snapper)
- ¼ cup (35g) plain flour
- 2 sheets frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tsp each mustard seeds and nigella seeds
- Crispy curry leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced). Melt the butter in a large, deep-sided frying pan over medium heat. Add the leek, garlic and potato and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, until starting to colour. Add the spices and chilli and cook for 1 minute. Add the cream, vermouth, sugar, lime zest and juice. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Take off the heat, add the peas and season.
- Toss the fish in flour and add to the cream mixture. Divide the mixture into a pair of 3-cup (750ml) capacity ovenproof dishes. Cut puff pastry to fit the top of each ramekin. Brush with egg and sprinkle with mustard and nigella seeds.
- Place pies on a baking tray and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden and puffed. Serve with curry leaves.
If you prefer to make individual pies, use 4 x 1 ½ cup (375ml) pie dishes or ramekins. For this, you’ll need 4 sheets of puff pastry.