The ultimate celebration dessert this Madeleine, Vanilla Custard & Brandy Stone Fruit Trifle Recipe makes the most of fresh, in-season stone fruit and sweet madeleines.
Madeleine, Vanilla Custard & Brandy Stone Fruit Trifle Recipe
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup amaretto
- 1 cup brandy
- 6 stone fruit (we used peaches, nectarines and plums), sliced
- Icing sugar, to dust
- 2 cups thickened cream
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 500g mascarpone
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 160g unsalted butter, melted 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
How to make this Madeleine, Vanilla Custard & Brandy Stone Fruit Trifle Recipe :
1. To make a vanilla custard, place the cream and vanilla in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring just to the boil.
2. Meanwhile, place the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Gradually whisk the hot cream into the egg mixture. Return the mixture to a clean saucepan and cook, stirring, over a low heat for 6 minutes, or until the custard has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Pour into a bowl, cover and refrigerate until cold.
3. To make the madeleines, preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Place the plain flour, baking powder, caster sugar, eggs, melted butter, honey and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk until smooth. In 2 batches, spoon the batter into the 12 lightly greased holes of a madeleine tin. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until puffed and golden. Remove from the tins, allow to cool. You should end up with 24 madeleines.
4. To make the custard cream, place the chilled vanilla custard and mascarpone in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk on high speed for 3-4 minutes, until thickened. Refrigerate until ready to use.
5. To make the syrup for the stone fruit, place the sugar, honey and 1⁄2 cup of water in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and stir to dissolve the sugar. Increase the heat to high and cook without stirring for 6 minutes, or until a dark caramel in colour. Remove from the heat, carefully add the amaretto and brandy, and stir to combine. Set aside to cool.
6. Place the stone fruit in a bowl. Pour over half the cooled syrup and set aside.
7. Spoon a third of the custard cream into a 12-cup trifle dish. Dip a third of the madeleines into the remaining syrup, layer onto the cream. Top with a third of the fruit. Repeat until you have used up all the cream, madeleines and fruit. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. Drizzle with any remaining syrup and dust with icing sugar to serve.