The key to this succulent leg of lamb is to baste the meat liberally with the cranberry mixture an hour into cooking time.
2kg leg of lamb
275g jar jellied cranberry sauce
½ cup cranberry juice
½ cup mint leaves
½ cup mint leaves, extra
½ cup olive oil
Mint salsa verde
1½ cups mint leaves (you will need 1 large bunch mint)
1 cup parsley leaves
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp capers, rinsed
1 lemon, finely grated rind and 2 tbsp juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
½ cup olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Put lamb into a roasting pan. Roast for 1 hour.
2. Put sauce, juice and mint leaves into a food processor and process until well combined. Transfer to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Baste lamb liberally with cranberry mixture. Return to oven for 30 minutes for medium rare, or until lamb is cooked to your liking. If cooking for longer than 30 minutes, cover loosely with foil to prevent top of lamb burning. Transfer to a chopping board and cover to keep warm. Put onto a serving platter and serve sprinkled with fried mint leaves. Serve with salsa verde on the side.
4. To make salsa verde. Put mint leaves, parsley leaves, garlic, capers, lemon rind, lemon juice, mustard and oil into a food processor. Process until a thick green sauce forms. Transfer to a serving bowl.
5. To fry mint leaves, heat oil in a small saucepan over a medium heat. When oil is hot, drop in 6 mint leaves at a time and cook for 1-2 minutes or until leaves become transparent and crisp. Transfer to a plate covered with paper towel to drain.