A delightful dish for the whole family.
Lebanese Spiced Lamb with Semolina Flatbread & Tzatziki
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- ⅓ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 280ml warm water
- 7g dried yeast
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 cups (300g) 00 flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 cup fine semolina, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Lebanese Spiced Lamb
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500g lamb mince
- 1½ tbsp baharat
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 10g chicken powder or stock cube, crumbled
- ¼ cup currants
- ½ cup water
- 1½ cups Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, finely chopped (175g)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ⅓ cup mint leaves, shredded
How to make this Lebanese Spiced Lamb with Semolina Flatbread & Tzatziki:
1. To make flatbread, combine water, yeast and sugar in a small jug. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes, or until foamy. Combine flour, semolina and salt in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture and oil. Stir with a flat-bladed knife until mixture comes together.
2. Form into a ball with your hands. Knead for 5 minutes on a lightly floured bench or until dough is smooth and elastic. Grease two large baking trays with oil. Divide dough into 4 portions. Cover with a tea towel. Allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
3. To make Lebanese Spiced Lamb, heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add lamb mince. Cook, breaking up with a fork, for 5 minutes or until golden. Stir in spices. Add tomatoes, stock, currants and water. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper. Cool.
4. Preheat oven to 220˚C. Scatter trays lightly with semolina. Lightly flour a clean surface. Roll each portion of dough out to a 25cm x 15cm rectangle. Place dough onto trays. Spoon flatbread with lamb mixture, allowing a 2cm border. Drizzle with oil.
5. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and cooked through. To make tzatziki, combine ingredients in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. To serve, spoon lamb mixture over flatbread, top with tzatziki and scatter with baby spinach and pine nuts.