Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 ½ cups (250g) basmati rice
- 650ml chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup (120g) frozen peas
- 150g hot smoked salmon, skin removed, flaked
- Chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Greek yoghurt and lemon wedges, to serve
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook for 5 minutes (medium boiled eggs), or until cooked to your liking. Drain and immerse in cold water. Peel and slice eggs in half.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring for 3 minutes, or until soft. Add curry powder. Cook, stirring for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir in rice.
- Add stock to pan and stir to combine. Simmer gently covered, for 10 minutes. Remove lid. Stir in peas. Cover and cook for a further 3 to 5 minutes, or until rice is tender and peas are cooked. Remove from the heat. Scatter over flaked salmon.
- Top with eggs. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve with yoghurt and lemon wedges.
- Replace salmon with flaked tuna or canned salmon.
- Garnish with chopped green chilli or drizzle with green sriracha just before serving.
- Replace chopped parsley with chopped coriander.
- Kedgeree can be served warm or cold. Great for lunchboxes or picnics.
- To increase the number of eggs in the recipe, stir 3 chopped boiled eggs through rice with salmon and serve and 3 eggs halved on top.