Kadayifli Karides recipe, brought to you by MiNDFOOD.
16-20 fresh king prawns
150g fresh Kadayif (shredded pastry, which can be found in any Mediterranean delicacy store)
1 spoonful ghee or butter
Muhammara (walnut capsicum dip)
3 large sweet red peppers (Note: if you don’t have fresh red peppers, use good-quality roasted red peppers in a jar will suffice.)
1 cup of shredded walnuts
1 thick slice of day old bread
1/2 bunch continental parsley
2 pieces garlic
2 pieces shallots
2 spoonfuls Tahini
1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Paprika, black pepper, salt
1. Peel off the skin and head of prawns, leaving the tail on.
2. Gently open the Kadayif pastry, adding liquefied butter and run your fingers through the dough.
3. Wrap the pastry around the prawns starting from the top to the bottom (make sure there is only one layer to ensure even cooking of the prawns).
4. Place prawns in baking tray and into a preheated oven. Cook 8-10 minutes at 210 degrees in a conventional oven until pastry is golden brown.
1. Roast the peppers until charred all over. Place them in a paper bag for 10 minutes. Peel, stem and seed them, then chop coarsely.
2. Finely chop shallots, parsley and garlic.
Mix together with day old bread, shallots using a hand blender.
3. Add olive oil, tahini, lemon juice and spices. Serve under the prawns.