Jerk Chicken with Black Bean Rice and Roasted Salsa. Spice up your weekly roast dinner with this Southern-inspired chicken recipe. Serve with black bean rice and salsa.
Jerk Chicken with Black Bean Rice & Roasted Salsa
1 onion, peeled and chopped
4 spring onions, sliced
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3cm piece ginger, peeled and finely grated
2 tbsp thyme leaves
1 dried ancho chilli, roughly chopped
1 tbsp brown sugar
¼ cup lime juice
¼ cup rice vinegar
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1.6kg whole chicken, butterflied
700g mixed chillies and peppers
2 limes, halved
2 tsp salt
1½ cups long-grain rice
400ml chicken stock
400g can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
½ tsp caster sugar
coriander leaves, to serve
- Place onion, half the spring onions, half the garlic, half the ginger, half the thyme, chilli, sugar, lime juice, vinegar and half the oil in a bowl of a food processor and process to form a paste. Transfer to a large bowl and coat the chicken with the paste. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the chicken on a large baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper, place the mixed chillies, peppers and limes around the chicken and roast for 30-35 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining garlic, ginger, spring onions and salt and cook for 2 minutes until softened. Add the rice and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Stir through the black beans, set aside and keep warm.
- Peel the skins from the chillies and peppers and discard. Place the peppers and chillies in a bowl with the vinegar, sugar and remaining thyme leaves, season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper and mix to combine.
- Serve the chicken with the black bean rice, roasted chilli salsa and coriander leaves.