Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
2 tablespoons oil
6 whole cloves
1/2 cinnamon stick, broken
1 whole star anise, broken
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons clarified butter, melted
1 tablespoon fresh green chilli, minced
1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
500gms lamb shoulder chop, diced *
1 large potato, 1cm sized cubes
2 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup tomatoes, blended, tinned or fresh
1 cup long grain rice
1/2 cup orange lentils
* Substitute: chicken or vegetables
- Heat oven to 180°C fan bake. In a large saucepan heat oil on a medium heat. Add cloves, cinnamon and star anise for 1 minute or until darkened. Add onions and cook for 3-5 minutes or until browned.
- Add clarified butter, chilli, garlic, ginger, salt, turmeric and garam masala. Stir paste to infuse masala. Add meat and potatoes, simmer for 7-10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add water and tomatoes, simmer for 6 minutes. Add rice and lentils. Simmer for a further 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Empty into a casserole dish, and cover with foil. Bake on 180°C for 20 minutes or until rice has cooked.
- Serve hot with yoghurt sauce or try cucumber dip.
This recipe is an extract from A LITTLE BIT OF THIS, A LITTLE BIT OF THAT A GUJARATI INDIAN COOKBOOK FROM AOTEAROA by Jayshri Ganda and Laxmi Ganda, RRP $55.00 AUD or $69.00 NZD available here: gujaraticookbook.com/en-au/