For the base:
- 1 cup quick polenta
- 500 ml good quality chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Pinch of fresh cracked pepper
For the pizza topping:
- 1⁄2 cup passata sauce
- 200g fior di latte cheese, sliced
- 1⁄4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 150g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 medium Hass avocados
- 1 small handful of basil leaves
- 1 handful rocket
- 2 tbsp good quality pesto, store-bought
- Preheat the oven to 200oC.
- Line a round pizza or baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Place a heavy base medium saucepan on medium heat, add the chicken stock and allow it to come up to a simmer. Add the quick polenta and stir through. Keep stirring while it thickens to prevent lumps from forming.
- Stir through the dried oregano and the fresh cracked pepper.
- Once the polenta has turned very thick and changed to a creamy consistency (after 3-5 minutes) remove it from the heat and add the grated Parmesan cheese, stir through until it’s melted.
- Using a spatula, scrape out the polenta from the saucepan and into the pre-prepared tray. Spread it out into a rough circle, about 1cm thick. If the polenta is sticking to your spatula, coat it with a little olive oil to prevent it from sticking.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 mins.
- Once the pizza base is lightly crispy, spoon over the passata sauce followed by adding the thinly sliced fior di latte cheese and the cherry tomatoes. Place back in the oven for a further 12 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the pizza from the oven, serve with the thinly sliced avocado and arrange it into fans over the top. Follow with the rocket, basil and a good dollop of pesto.
The polenta pizza base can be made ahead of time.