Having friends or family over for an early meal? Inspired by vibrant Greek flavours this delicious vegetarian Heirloom Tomato & Onion Tart Recipe is the perfect plate to share.
Heirloom Tomato & Onion Tart Recipe
- 375g frozen puff pastry (1 large sheet), thawed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced into rounds
- 4 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp salt flakes
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Greek basil leaves, to serve
How to make this Heirloom Tomato & Onion Tart Recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 240°C (220°C fan forced). Place the pastry sheet on a large baking tray lined with baking paper. Using a small knife, mark a 2cm border around all the edges of the pastry and prick the centre with a fork.
2. Place the garlic, lemon zest, mint and oil in bowl and mix to combine. Brush over the pastry.
3. Arrange half the onion rounds and all of the tomato slices on the pastry, staying within the marked border. The slices should overlap. Sprinkle with the sugar and half the salt, then season with pepper. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the pastry is golden and cooked.
4. Meanwhile, place the remaining onion rounds and salt in a bowl with the sumac and lemon juice, and mix to combine. Top the tart with the onion mix and Greek basil to serve.
TIP: If you can’t get a single 375g sheet of puff pastry, place 2 sheets of puff pastry together, overlapping by 4cm. Roll them together with a rolling pin to secure, then trim the edges.