Packed full of hazelnut goodness, this cake is so sticky and delicious, you won’t believe it’s a no-bake cake, with no refined sugar, wheat, dairy or soy.
500g hazelnuts – process to a fine flour in a mill or high speed blender
7 tbsp cacao butter (gently melted)
150g cacao powder
few drops hazelnut extract (optional)
Gooey sticky middle layer:
360g medjool dates
1 tbsp cacao powder
3 tbsp hazelnut butter (or peanut butter)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp maple syrup
2 drops hazelnut extract (optional)
1 tbsp cacao butter (melted)
100g cacao butter
3 tbsp hazelnut butter (or tahini/peanut butter)
2 tbsp cacao powder
2 tbsp lucuma
1 drop hazelnut extract
Method for the cake layer:
1. Mix the above cake layer ingredients by hand and then put half of the mixture into a silicone mould of your choice.
Method for the sticky middle layer:
1. Process all the above ingredients in the food processor – start with the dates first then add the others one by one – keep pulsing and scraping!
2. Spoon this decadent mixture over the first cake layer, then add the second lot of cake mixture over the top and firm down with hands or spoon!
Pop the cake in the freezer
Method for the chocolate icing:
1. Mix together by hand (or blend for a smoother finish) then take the cake out of the freezer. Make sure it’s set enough before you take it out.
2. Ice the cake, and if you have enough, do a double icing!
Victoria Leith, raw chef, mother and musician, runs an online cakery and is currently writing a recipe book called Cakes from Caramelia. You can keep up-to-date with her cakes by visiting her on Facebook.