Treat yourself to a delicious afternoon tea with these mouthwatering Haloumi Fries with Comeback Sauce & Celery & Pickle Relish.
Haloumi Fries with Comeback Sauce & Celery & Pickle Relish
1⁄4 cup cornflour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
500g haloumi, cut into 1cm thick fries
Vegetable oil, to fry
2 dill pickles, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp honey
1 tbsp finely chopped spring onion
Smoked paprika, to serve
Baby celery leaves, to serve (optional)
1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp ketchup
1 tsp horseradish relish
1 tsp American mustard
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
A pinch cayenne pepper
- To make the comeback sauce, place the mayonnaise, ketchup, horseradish relish, American mustard, apple cider vinegar and cayenne in a small bowl. Mix well to combine, then set aside for later.
- Place the cornflour, eggs and panko breadcrumbs in three separate bowls. Dust the haloumi fries in the cornflour then dip into the eggs, and then coat in the panko breadcrumbs and place on a large baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Fill a large saucepan with 10cm of vegetable oil and place over medium heat until the oil reaches 180°C on a sugar thermometer.
- Working in batches, cook the haloumi fries for 4 minutes or until golden. Drain on absorbent paper. Repeat with remaining haloumi fries until they are all cooked.
- Meanwhile, to make the celery & pickle relish, place the chopped dill pickles, chopped celery, extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, honey and spring onion in a small bowl.
- To serve, divide the haloumi fries between bowls. Serve with comeback sauce and celery & pickle relish. Top with baby celery leaves if desired.
Tip: To make this ahead of time, crumb the haloumi fries in advance and keep them on baking trays in the fridge until ready to cook.