4 medium octopus (700g), trimmed
6 cloves garlic, sliced
¼ cup lemon juice
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
1 clove garlic, crushed
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
For the ceviche dressing
1 small red capsicum, seeded and finely chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
½ tsp chilli flakes
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
100g sashimi grade kingfish, finely chopped
Baby basil leaves, to serve
- Heat a large, heavy-based saucepan over high heat. Add the octopus, sliced garlic and lemon juice. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, reduce the heat to low and cook for 1 hour or until the octopus is tender. Remove the pan from the heat. Mix to combine the paprika, lemon rind, garlic and oil in a large bowl.
- Carefully remove the octopus from the pan, add to the paprika marinade and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, to make the dressing, combine the capsicum, onion, chilli flakes and vinegar in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready.
- Preheat a barbecue or chargrill pan over high heat. Add the octopus and cook, turning occasionally, for 6 minutes, or until charred.
- Place the octopus on a platter. Add the fish to the dressing and gently toss to combine. Spoon over the octopus. Serve drizzled with extra oil and scatter with basil.
You can pre-cook your octopus a day ahead and store refrigerated.
Have leftovers? This salad is perfect in toasted tortillas with smashed avocado.