Makes about 50
- 280 g (10 oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- (baking soda)
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- 225 g (8 oz) butter, at room temperature
- 100 g (3½ oz) raw sugar
- 100 g (3½ oz) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) molasses or dark, thick honey
- Combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and spices in a bowl and set aside. Whisk the butter and sugars in another large bowl until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and molasses and mix well. Add the flour mixture and gently combine to make a smooth, very soft dough. Tightly wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Roll the dough into balls, about 2.5 cm (1 inch) diameter. Place the balls on the trays, leaving at least 5 cm (2 inches) between them. Bake for 10–15 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown. Remove from the oven, leaving the cookies on the trays to firm up a little, about 3–5 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely, then store in an airtight container.
Images and text from Festive by Julia Stix, photography by Julia Stix. Murdoch Books RRP $27.99 NZD, RRP $24.99 AUD.