Satisfy your sweet tooth with this breakfast treat! Our Gingerbread Waffles with Honey-Glazed Persimmons & Ice Cream Recipe is the ultimate sweet treat no matter what time of day it is.
Gingerbread Waffles with Honey-Glazed Persimmons & Ice Cream Recipe
1⁄4 cup honey
1⁄4 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
4 persimmons, sliced into thin rounds
2 slices brioche, toasted
Vanilla ice cream, to serve
11⁄2 cups (225g) plain flour, sifted
1⁄4 cup (35g) cornflour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder, sifted
1⁄4 tsp bicarb soda
1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground allspice
1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt flakes
11⁄2 cups (375ml) buttermilk
1 tsp finely grated ginger
1 tbsp molasses
1⁄4 cup (60ml) vegetable oil
2 eggs, separated
How to make our Gingerbread Waffles with Honey-Glazed Persimmons & Ice Cream Recipe:
1. To make the gingerbread waffles, place the plain flour, cornflour, baking powder, bicarb soda, brown sugar, ground ginger, allspice, cinnamon and sea salt flakes in a large bowl and mix well to combine. Add the buttermilk, grated ginger, molasses, vegetable oil and egg yolks. Whisk until smooth and set aside for later.
2. Place the egg whites in a medium bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form. Add the egg whites to the flour mixture and gently fold to combine.
3. Preheat a lightly greased waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions. Pour 3⁄4 cup of the waffle batter into the waffle iron and cook for 6-7 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Repeat with the remaining waffle batter to make 8 waffles.
4. Meanwhile, place the honey, caster sugar, vanilla bean paste and 1⁄2 cup water in a small frying pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Add the persimmon slices and cook, turning occasionally, for 2 minutes. Crumble the toasted brioche into small crumbs.
5. Divide the waffles between serving plates. Top with persimmon slices and ice cream, and sprinkle with brioche crumbs. Drizzle over the leftover honey syrup to serve.
You can make the waffles ahead of time and keep them warm in a 100°C (80°C fan forced) oven. Place the waffles on a sheet of paper towel on a baking tray to avoid them going soggy in the oven. Cooked waffles freeze well. Wrap and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature then heat in