For the brioche dough:
- 2 eggs
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 10g instant dried yeast
- 125g butter, melted
- 500g high-grade flour
For the filling:
- 1¼ cups Christmas fruit mince – find the master recipe here
- ½ cup pistachios, roughly chopped
For the icing:
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp rosewater, or to taste
- 1-2 drops pink food colouring
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp pistachios, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried culinary rose petals, optional
- Beat together the eggs, sugar and 2 tsp salt in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer. Heat milk until lukewarm, add yeast and mix to combine. Add the milk and yeast mixture, with melted butter to the egg mixture. Whisk to combine.
- Whisk half the quantity of flour into the egg mixture by hand. Attach your dough hook and gradually add the remaining flour. Mix on slow speed until all the flour is incorporated into the dough, then increase to medium speed and knead for 8-10 minutes, or until smooth and glossy.
- Alternatively, mix and knead by hand.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 3 hours, or overnight.
- Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and roll out to a 55cm x 30cm rectangle. Spread on the fruit mince, leaving a 2cm border all around. Scatter over the pistachios. Roll up tightly like a Swiss roll, working from the long edge, and pinch the seam firmly to seal.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (160˚C fan forced). With the long side facing you, tightly roll up the dough into a log with the seam facing up. Use a sharp knife to cut the log in half lengthwise, along the seam.
- Tightly weave the 2 pieces together – leaving the cut edges exposed. Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper. Twist into a wreath and join the ends. Set wreath aside to prove for 15 minutes.
- Bake the wreath for 30-35 minutes, until well risen, golden and cooked through. Cover loosely with tin foil after 20 minutes if the top starts to colour too much.
- Cool on the tray for 30 minutes and then transfer to a serving board.
- Mix together the icing ingredients in a small bowl, adding enough water to make a slightly runny consistency. Drizzle over the wreath, scatter with the cranberries and pistachios and rose petals if using. Serve slightly warm.