Semifreddo with Rosewater Poached Plums. Impress dinner guests with this chic semifreddo dessert, dressed with a refreshing rosewater and plum syrup.
Semifreddo with Rosewater Poached Plums
In season ingredient: Plums
1 cup caster sugar
6 egg whites
½ cup caster sugar (extra)
red food colouring
300ml thickened cream
300ml sour cream
½ cup pistachio kernels, roughly chopped
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp rosewater
16 plums of choice
250g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- Grease and line a 6-cup-capacity loaf pan with plastic wrap.
- Put caster sugar and ½ cup water in a heavy-based saucepan over low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes or until liquid becomes thick and syrupy without colouring.
- Meanwhile, put egg whites and caster sugar (extra) in the small bowl of an electric beater. Beat until thick and glossy. At medium speed, add syrup in a steady stream until well combined.
- Continue to beat, adding food colouring until meringue mixture is the required colour. Put the bowl of meringue mixture in the fridge to cool completely.
- Using an electric beater, beat thickened cream until soft peaks form. Gently fold sour cream into beaten cream until well combined.
- Add cream mixture and pistachios to meringue mixture. Using a large metal spoon gently stir until well combined. Spoon into prepared loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- Put white sugar, ½ cup water and rosewater in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Add plums and simmer for 2 minutes. Turn plums over and simmer for a further 2 minutes. Spoon plums into a large bowl. Cool syrup.
- Pour cooled syrup over plums then refrigerate. Invert semifreddo onto a serving platter. Remove plastic wrap. Decorate with plums and syrup and serve.