4 large field mushrooms
1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
1 cup sourdough breadcrumbs
½ cup grated smoked cheddar
¼ tsp chilli flakes
2 tsp paprika powder
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 bagels, halved and toasted
1 mesclun salad
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 large oxheart tomato, thinly sliced
⅓ cup mayonnaise
1 small garlic clove crushed
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp truffle oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Remove the stems from the mushrooms. Place the mushrooms stem side down on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes, or until just starting to become tender.
- Meanwhile, place the breadcrumbs, cheddar, chilli, paprika, mayonnaise and garlic in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven. Turn and top two with the stuffing. Return to the oven and cook for a further 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- To make the aioli, mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Season.
- Spread the aioli on the base of the bagels. Top with half the salad leaves, tomato and onion. Top with one plain mushroom, then one stuffed mushroom and extra salad leaves, and sandwich to serve.
You can swap the flavours in the filling. Instead of smoked cheddar and chilli, try feta and dried oregano, or blue cheese and mustard powder. You can also swap the bagels for brioche buns.