Crispy Togarashi Coated Tofu with Mushrooms. This mouthwatering vegetarian dish is a perfect way to spice up your meat-free Mondays, or just a great recipe to add to your repertoire.
Crispy Togarashi Coated Tofu with Mushrooms Recipe: Ingredients
Teriyaki Glaze Recipe
- ¾ cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp mirin
- ½ cup sugar
- 500g block firm tofu
- 2 tbsp togarashi spice, plus extra, toasted, to garnish – make your own spice mix at home with this recipe.
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup cornflour
- 1 egg, lightly whisked with 2 tbsp water
- Vegetable oil, to deep fry, plus 2 tbsp extra
- 500g mixed Asian mushrooms (shitake, king, shimiji, enoki), cut into smaller chunks
- 1 garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch (400g) bok choy, chopped
- 2 green shallots, diagonally sliced, to garnish
How to make our Crispy Togarashi Coated Tofu with Mushrooms Recipe
1. Place teriyaki, ginger, mirin and sugar into a medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat to dissolve sugar. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes or until glaze is syrupy.
2. Meanwhile, cut tofu into 12 even pieces and pat dry on paper towel. In a bowl, combine the togarashi spice, salt and cornflour. Coat each piece of tofu in mixture. Dip into the combined egg and water, coat in cornflour mix again.
3. Heat a wok or saucepan 1⁄3 full with vegetable oil, heat to 190˚C. Deep fry tofu in batches for 4 minutes or until crispy and light golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
4. Heat extra oil in wok or frypan over medium heat, add the thicker mushrooms and their stems (king, shitake) and cook for 2 minutes, then add the more delicate mushrooms (shimeji, enoki), garlic and stems of the bok choy, cook for a further minute. Add leaves, stir to wilt, remove from heat.
5. To serve, place tofu onto the bok choy and mushroom mixture, drizzle with teriyaki glaze, garnish with shallots.