Forgo your usual salad option and try this delicious Crispy Rice with Squid & Tom Yum Dressing Recipe. The combination of crispy rice, tender squid and flavoursome tom yum dressing is a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
Crispy Rice with Squid & Tom Yum Dressing Recipe
1 cup jasmine rice, rinsed
2 tbsp vegetable oil
8 small, cleaned squid, thinly sliced into rounds
400g medley cherry tomatoes, halved
1 bunch purple shiso, leaves picked
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
2 kaffir lime leaves, stem removed, finely shredded
Tom Yum Dressing
1 tbsp red curry paste
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp caster sugar
How to make our Crispy Rice with Salad & Tom Yum Dressing Recipe:
1. Fill a medium saucepan with water, place over high heat and bring to the boil. Add the rice, then return to the boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside to steam for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, to make the tom yum dressing, place the red curry paste, lime juice, fish sauce and caster sugar in a bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside for later.
3. Heat a medium, non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil and then half the rice, spreading the rice out in the pan until it makes a flat and even layer. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the rice is golden. Flip onto a tray, then repeat with the remaining oil and rice.
4. Wipe out the pan and then return to high heat. Sprinkle the squid with salt and pepper. Add the squid to the dry pan until it makes a flat and even layer. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the rice is golden. Flip onto a tray, then repeat with the remaining oil and rice.
5. To serve, break the rice into shards and place on plates. Top with squid and tomatoes. Serve with purple shiso and coriander leaves, sliced spring onions and kaffir limes. Drizzle with tom yum dressing to serve.