1 cup braising liquid from red braised short ribs – find the master recipe here
2 tbsp honey
¼ cup cornflour, to dust
½ tsp Chinese five spice
4 cold red braised beef short ribs, bones removed – find the master recipe here
Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
4 strips orange peel, shredded
10cm ginger, peeled and shredded
6 dried whole chillies
1 tbsp toasted black and white sesame seeds
Purple shiso, to serve
Black tea vinegar ingredients
¼ tsp loose black tea leaves
¼ cup black vinegar
¼ cup orange juice
- For the black tea vinegar, combine the tea, vinegar and orange juice in a small saucepan over low heat for 2 minutes. Take off the heat, set aside for 10 minutes and allow the flavours to develop. Strain and set aside.
- Place the braising liquid and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, or until reduced and sticky.
- Combine cornflour and Chinese 5 spice in a small bowl. Set aside. Pull the meat of the cold beef ribs into bite-sized piece.
- Half fill a saucepan with vegetable oil and place over medium high heat, until a deep frying thermometer reaches 180°C. Add the orange and ginger and cook for 30 seconds or until golden and crisp. Removed with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Dust the beef in flour and working in batches, lower into the oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Serve the beef drizzled with sticky braising liquid. Top with crispy orange and ginger mixture and sesame seeds. Serve with vinegar and purple shiso.