This flavoursome Crab & Potato Croquettes with Taramasalata Aioli Recipe is sure to have guests going back for seconds and maybe even thirds!
Crab & Potato Croquettes with Taramasalata Aioli Recipe
- 500g medium potatoes, scrubbed
- 40g unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour, plus
- 1⁄4 cup extra
- 1⁄2 cup single cream
- 250g uncooked picked crab meat
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, to shallow fry
- 1⁄4 cup store-bought aioli
- 1⁄4 cup crème fraîche
- 1⁄4 cup taramasalata
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Micro lemon balm, to serve
How to make this Crab & Potato Croquettes with Taramasalata Aioli Recipe:
1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan of cold salted water. Place over high heat and bring to the boil, then cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain well and set aside to cool slightly. When cool, peel the potatoes and mash. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add the cream and crab meat and cook for 2 minutes, or until the crab is just cooked. Pour the crab mixture into the mashed potatoes.
3. Add the chives and lemon zest, season with salt and pepper and mix to combine. Refrigerate for 1 hour, until cold. When cold, shape 2 tablespoons of the potato mixture into a 3cm-long croquette shape and place onto a tray lined with baking paper. Repeat with the remaining mix, then freeze all croquettes for 10 minutes.
4. Place the extra flour into a bowl. Place the eggs and panko breadcrumbs into two separate bowls. Dip the croquettes first into the flour, then into the egg, then coat in the breadcrumbs. Place on a tray and refrigerate until needed.
5. Fill a medium saucepan two- thirds full with oil and place over medium heat. Heat to 180°C on a deep frying thermometer. In batches, cook the croquettes for 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining mixture and keep warm.
6. Place the aioli, crème fraîche and taramasalata in a bowl and mix well to combine. Serve the croquettes with lemon wedges, taramasalata aioli and micro lemon balm. Sprinkle with salt to serve.
You can make the base of these croquettes ahead of time, roll them into shape and freeze for up to 2 months. To cook, remove from the freezer and coat in crumbs while frozen. Let them thaw in the fridge for 30 minutes before frying.