- Ginger Poached Pear Ingredients
- 3 Bosch Pears (medium ripe)
- 80g Caster Sugar
- 1 inch knob of ginger (peeled and sliced)
- 2 Cups Water
Chocolate and Pear Cake Ingredients
- 175 g Light Brown Sugar
- 120 g Plain Flour
- 35 g Dutch Cocoa Powder
- 5 g Baking Powder
- 2 g Baking Soda
- 2 g Fine Sea Salt
- 100g 70% Dark Chocolate (Chopped)
- 90g Unsalted Butter (Room Temp)
- 100 ml Water (Room Temp)
- 50g Greek Yogurt/Sour cream
- 1 Large Egg (Room Temp)
- 3 Poached Pears
- Bonne Maman Caramel
Chocolate Loaf with Ginger Poached Pears and Caramel Drizzle
- Peel the pears, keeping the stems and leaving them whole.
- Mix the sugar, ginger and water in a saucepan and bring to boil.
- When the sugar is dissolved, reduce to a low simmer and add the pears standing up.
- Gently poach until the pears are tender (approx. 1hr).
- Turn off the heat and let the pears cool completely in the syrup.
- Preheat the oven to 160 C. Line a 24 inch loaf tin with baking paper.
- Place the chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of lightly simmering water and melt gently, stirring until completely smooth. Remove from the heat.
- In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add the softened butter to the dry ingredients and beat on medium speed until a sandy mixture forms.
- To the cooled melted chocolate add the yogurt and egg and mix. Add in the water and mix again.
- Add the wet mixture to the buttery dry mixture and beat together until everything is incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and tuck the pears in with the stem sticking out.
- Bake for 25-30 min.
- Let cool for 1hr then gently remove from the tin.
- Drizzle with Bonne Maman caramel and tuck in!
Recipe and imagery courtesy of Subha Nasir Ahmad, @sunnybakehouse. www.bonnemaman.com.au @bonnemaman_au