1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
1 lemon, sliced
1 bulb garlic
½ bunch curly parsley
250g small pasta
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 bunches broccolini, trimmed and cut to 3cm lengths
100g butter, chopped
1 tsp chilli flakes
Finely grated pepper pecorino (or parmesan), to serve
- Drain the chickpeas and place in a large saucepan. Cover with water. Add the lemon and garlic. Slice the stalks off the parsley (tie them with kitchen string) and add to the saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Cover partially with a lid and cook for 1 hour, or until tender. Carefully remove the lemon, garlic and parsley stalks. Increase the heat to high and season with salt.
- When the water is boiling, add the pasta and cook for 6 minutes, or until just tender. Add the broccolini and cook for 2 minutes. Drain and return the saucepan. Keep warm.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves from their skin and place in a bowl with lemon slices. Add oil and using a fork, crush until smooth. Add to the warm pasta and toss to coat. Finely chop parsley and toss to coat.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over high heat. Cook for 1 minute, or until nutty brown.
- Divide the pasta between bowls and serve with butter and chilli flakes. Top with grated cheese to serve.