Chicken Breast with Fresh Artichokes & Bearnaise Sauce. Fresh is always best. Home-cooked artichoke lends itself perfectly to this dish. Add flavour with Bearnaise sauce and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
Chicken Breast with Fresh Artichokes & Bearnaise Sauce
2 lemons, juiced
4 globe artichokes
¼ cup olive oil
salt and pepper, to season
4 chicken breasts (on bone)
½ cup tarragon vinegar
2 french eschalots, thinly sliced
6 black peppercorns
3 bay leaves
2 egg yolks
125g butter, diced
2 tbsp tarragon leaves, finely chopped
lemon wedges, to serve
- Fill a large bowl with water and add ¼ cup of the lemon juice. To prepare artichokes, trim stalks, leaving approximately 5cm. Trim 2cm from top and remove outer leaves to show soft inner leaves. Cut artichokes in half lengthways and remove furry choke.
- Put in lemon water.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Drain artichoke and add to boiling water. Put a large plate on top of artichoke to keep submerged. Simmer for 20–25 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and return to saucepan. Combine 2 tbsp of the oil and remaining lemon juice in a jug. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over artichoke (may be served warm or cooled).
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Heat remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 2–3 minutes or until golden.
- Turn chicken and cook for a further 2 minutes. Cook remaining chicken. Transfer chicken to prepared baking tray and put in oven to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, to make bearnaise sauce, put tarragon vinegar, eschalot, peppercorns and bay leaves in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Strain liquid into a food processor. Add egg yolk and process until well combined. In a microwave-safe jug, cook butter on high for 1–2 minutes or until melted and bubbling. With processor running on slow, add butter in a steady stream through funnel until a thick, smooth sauce forms.
- Transfer sauce to a small bowl. Stir tarragon leaves through sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle bearnaise sauce over chicken and artichoke. Serve with lemon wedges.