Belmont Meats butcher and Murray Valley Pork stockist Brett Howie, shares a few tips on how to get the best out of your butcher to create the perfect pork dish.
1. Ask for a piece of pork with the rind still on, this will lock in the moisture and keep it tender while cooking
2. Get your butcher to score the rind for you (his knives should be sharper than yours)
3. Never be afraid to ask you butcher to cut something exactly how you want it. If he is a good butcher, it won’t be a problem
4. Bring your recipe book with you when you go to see you butcher, that way he will know exactly the cut of pork you are looking for
5. Bring your own stuffing and ask your local butcher to stuff and roll your pork roast for you
6. Ask your butcher for pork mince instead of beef in your Bolognese, you’ll find the texture a lot softer.
Murray Valley Pork offers a premium range of fresh Australian pork, available exclusively through retail butcher shops and select restaurants. Murray Valley Pork provides over 30 different cuts which are proudly 100% Australian grown on the company’s network of farms in the rich Riverina region in southern New South Wales and northern Victoria.
For more information about Murray Valley Pork and to find your local stockist go to www.murrayvalleypork.com.