Looking for the perfect summer salad? Our Blue Crab & Kiwifruit Salad Recipe has you covered, with tender pieces of crab and tasty kiwifruit you’re sure to love it.
Blue Crab & Kiwifruit Salad Recipe
- 4-6 large live blue crabs
- 2 handfuls small spinach leaves, washed
- 3 handfuls baby red kale leaves, washed
- 150g blanched almonds, roughly chopped and toasted
- 3-4 small green kiwifruit
- Lemon or lime wedges, to serve
Lemon & Almond Dressing
- ½ cup lemon or lime juice, extra for salad leaves
- ⅔ cup almond oil, extra for salad leaves
- 4 tbsp snipped chives, extra to serve
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp caster sugar
How to make our Blue Crab & Kiwifruit Salad Recipe
1. Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil. As quickly as you can, put the live crabs into the water and cover with a lid immediately. Return to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer crabs until the meat is done, about 8 minutes after the water has returned to a boil.
2. Remove crabs from pan and chill in refrigerator for a few hours (if you don’t want them very cold, or overnight if needed cold).
3. To make the dressing, mix together all the ingredients in a small jug or bowl. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
4. Wash spinach and kale leaves and drain well. Place leaves in a large bowl with the toasted almonds and kiwifruit. Add 2-3 tablespoons of lemon or lime juice and almond oil. Toss together, coating leaves with the extra juice and almond oil.
5. Pile salad leaves with kiwifruit onto a serving platter.
6. Break crabs into pieces. Remove flesh from the body and legs, reserving a few legs for garnish. Arrange crabmeat with extra sliced kiwifruit (or cocktail kiwi berries, if preferred) around the salad. Serve with the dressing and plenty of lime or lemon wedges and a sprinkling of chives.