Looking for the ultimate vegan comfort food? Look no further than our Barley & Mushroom- Stuffed Butternut with Nori Butter Recipe, packed full of warming and delicious flavours it’s sure to be a hit.
Barley & Mushroom- Stuffed Butternut with Nori Butter Recipe: Ingredients
- 2 small butternut squash (1kg total), halved, seeds removed
- 1L vegetable stock
- 10g dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 250g mixed mushrooms, sliced (we used a mixture of Swiss brown, pine and shiitake mushrooms)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1 sheet nori seaweed
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup baby kale leaves
How to make our Barley & Mushroom- Stuffed Butternut with Nori Butter Recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Place the butternut, cut side down, on large oven trays lined with baking paper. Roast for 45 minutes.
2. Scoop out the flesh from each butternut half, leaving a 2cm border around all sides.
3. Meanwhile, place the stock and porcini mushrooms in a medium pan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
4. Heat half the extra-virgin olive oil in a large, deep-sided pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, turning, for 6 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the remaining oil, onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 4 minutes. Add the barley and stir to coat in the onions. Add the stock and porcini mushrooms one ladle at a time, stirring well until the stock is absorbed. Repeat with the remaining stock and cook for 30 minutes, or until the barley is tender and the stock has evaporated. Add the butternut flesh and mix to combine.
5. Meanwhile, to make the nori butter, place the nori in a small food processor (or spice grinder) and then process until finely chopped. Place in a small bowl, add the sesame seeds and butter, and mix to combine.
6. Spoon the barley mixture into each butternut half. Top with the mushrooms and half the nori butter, then return to the oven and cook for 10 minutes. Serve butternuts topped with the remaining nori butter and baby kale leaves on the side.
Tip: Instead of small butternuts, you can use 1 x 2kg butternut, halved. Roast for 1 hour or until tender.