Banana Fritters and Caramel Coffee Sundae. Deliciously indulgent, create a sophisticated ice-cream sundae with banana fritters wrapped in katifi.
Banana Fritters & Caramel Coffee Sundae
2 tbsp caster sugar
⅓ cup walnuts, finely chopped
4 small bananas, peeled
and halved, lengthways
1 (375g) packet Kataifi pastry
100g butter, melted
Caramel Coffee Ice-Cream
2 Nespresso Caramelito pods
3 cups pouring cream
6 egg yolks
1 cup caster sugar
¼ cup dulce de leche
1 cup thickened cream
200g dark chocolate, finely
¼ cup brown sugar
- To make caramel coffee ice-cream, use the coffee pods and the ristretto setting to extract coffee from your Nespresso machine or make 50ml strong black coffee.
- Place cream and coffee in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar until light and creamy. Pour coffee cream over yolk mixture, whisking continuously. Pour custard back into the saucepan and cook over a low heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring continuously, or until the custard coats the back of a spoon.
- Fold through the dulce de leche, cover and refrigerate until completely cooled. Use an ice-cream machine and follow the instructions. Transfer
ice-cream to a loaf tin and freeze overnight.
- To make the chocolate sauce, place cream, chocolate and sugar in a saucepan over low heat. Stir until chocolate and sugar dissolve and are combined. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 220°C. To make banana fritters, combine sugar and walnuts, sprinkle over bananas.
- Carefully unravel pastry and cut into 4 x 10cm lengths. Place pastry flat on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Brush with butter.
- Place one banana in the centre of each piece of pastry and roll up, then brush with more butter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until pastry is golden and crisp.
- Serve fritters with the caramel coffee ice-cream and chocolate sauce.