Asian Winter Chicken Hot Pot
- 1 cup shaoxing (Chinese rice wine)
- ¼ cup light soy sauce
- 1 garlic bulb, halved crosswise
- 6 slices ginger
- 6 spring onions, sliced
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 organic chicken
- 3 carrots, cut into large pieces
- 1 daikon (white radish), cut into large pieces
- 8 fresh shitake mushrooms
- 1 cup pearl barley
- ½ cup holy basil (tulsi) leaves
- crushed white pepper, to serve
How to make this Asian Winter Chicken Hot Pot:
1 Preheat oven to 180˚C. Place 5 cups water into a large roasting pan or casserole dish. Add shaoxing, soy, garlic, ginger, spring onions, star anise and cinnamon and heat over high heat.
2 Add chicken, carrot, daikon and mushrooms. Cover and bake for 1 hour or until chicken is just tender. Uncover and cook for 10 minutes or until top of chicken is browned. Meanwhile, cook barley in a large saucepan of boiling water for 50 minutes or until soft. Drain well.
3 Transfer chicken to a baking tray. Set aside for 10 minutes before cutting into pieces. Place chicken in bowls with barley and vegetables. Ladle over stock. Sprinkle with basil and white pepper.