This show stopping Apple & Salt Roasted Side of Salmon with Tarragon Vinegar Recipe is sure to be a hit at your next summer BBQ.
Apple & Salt Roasted Side of Salmon with Tarragon Vinegar Recipe
- 2.5kg rock salt
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1.2kg side of salmon, skin on
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green apple, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 1 bunch tarragon, leaves picked
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Caper berries, to serve
How to make this Apple & Salt Roasted Side of Salmon with Tarragon Vinegar Recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Place the rock salt, egg whites and 1⁄2 cup of the vinegar in a bowl, mix well. Spread half the salt mixture over a large baking tray lined with baking paper. Top with the salmon, skin side down.
2. Place the honey, 1 tablespoon of the oil and 1 tablespoon of the remaining vinegar in a bowl, mix to combine. Brush lightly over the salmon. Top with the apple slices, overlapping the slices slightly.
3. Cover the salmon with the remaining salt, pressing down to create a firm crust around the fish. Place in the oven and cook for about 15 minutes for medium rare or 20 minutes for well done. Remove from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes to rest.
4. Meanwhile, finely chop the tarragon and place into a small bowl. Add the grated lemon zest and the remaining vinegar and oil, and season with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
5. To serve, crack the salt crust and carefully remove, brushing away any excess salt. Serve the salmon flaked, with the tarragon vinegar and caper berries.
The salmon can be served warm or cold. If serving cold, allow the salmon to cool in the salt before refrigerating. The salt will keep the salmon from drying out while it cools. To serve, simply crack away the salt.