For a decadent afternoon tea treat try our mouthwatering Almond Espresso Bars Recipe. The instant injection of chocolate and coffee is sure to see you through the afternoon!
Almond Espresso Bars Recipe
Makes about 25
- 5 tbsp milk
- 10g (1 tbsp) instant espresso powder
- 200g plain flour
- 70g cornflour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 125g butter
- 100g sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 1 egg
- 5 tbsp flaked almonds
- 120g dark couverture chocolate, melted
How to make our Almond Espresso Bars Recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Place the milk in a small saucepan over low heat and heat until warm, then add the espresso powder and stir to dissolve. Allow the milk mixture to cool.
2. Meanwhile, line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the plain flour, cornflour, cocoa powder and salt in a bowl and mix well to combine. Place the butter, sugar and vanilla sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a beater attachment, then beat until creamy and light. Add the egg, beat until combined. Add the flour mixture and milk and stir until a dough is just formed.
3. Transfer the dough into a piping bag fitted with a large 1.4cm star-shaped nozzle. Pipe about 25 x 8cm lengths of dough close to each other onto the tray.
4. Bake in the oven on the middle rack for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, place the flaked almonds in an ungreased frying pan over medium heat and lightly toast. Transfer to a small plate and allow to cool.
6. Lay a clean sheet of baking paper over your work surface, and place the melted chocolate in a small bowl. Dip the espresso bars diagonally into the melted chocolate so that about a third of the biscuit is coated, then allow any excess chocolate to drip off. Sprinkle with the almond flakes and then place on the baking paper to set.