- 130 g butter, melted
- 1 cup (220 g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup (75 g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ½ cup (55 g) hazelnut meal
- 1 cup (150 g) roughly chopped dark chocolate
- 10 pink marshmallows
For the stewed rhubarb:
- 1 bunch rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 5 cm lengths
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- ½ cup (110 g) sugar
- 1 cup (110 g) frozen raspberries (or fresh if in season)
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- For the stewed rhubarb, combine the rhubarb, orange juice and sugar in a saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes until the fruit has softened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the raspberries, then allow the mix to cool.
- Whisk together the butter, sugar, vanilla and cocoa powder until light and creamy.
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time. Gently fold in the flour, hazelnut meal and chocolate until just combined.
- Put the rhubarb in the base of a greased ovenproof frying pan (the one I used is 25 cm) or baking dish and spread evenly. Dot with the marshmallows, and spoon the chocolate batter over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until puffed and slightly crispy on the edge.
This can be served a bit underdone, like a self-saucing pudding.
This recipe is an extract from Every Night of the Week by Lucy Tweed, available now in New Zealand for NZD $40 RRP, and in Australia for AUD $35 RRP.