Quick and easy sushi sandwiches, perfect for a summer snack.
8 nori sheets
Japanese mayonnaise, to serve
Soy sauce, to serve
Wasabi, to serve
Pickled ginger, to serve
2 cups sushi rice or medium grain rice
⅔ cups sushi vinegar
½ cup caster sugar
3 tsp cooking salt
2 tsp toasted black sesame seeds
250g piece beef sirloin steak/rump steak/scotch fillet, sliced
1½ tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Wasabi, to smear
1 cup baby spinach leaves
1 small red capsicum, sliced
½ avocado, stone removed, sliced
200g packet Japanese-flavoured marinated tofu (try Soyco brand)
300g pumpkin, sliced into thin pieces, baked until tender
1 cup shredded red cabbage
- Marinate beef in teriyaki sauce for at least 1 hour.
- To make sushi rice, wash rice several times in cold water. Drain. Place rice in a medium saucepan with 3 cups cold water. Cover with a lid, bring to the boil then reduce heat. Simmer for 12 minutes or until liquid has absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes. Stir sugar and salt into sushi vinegar.
- Transfer rice to a large bowl while still hot. Stirring gently, add sushi vinegar mixture until rice comes to room temperature and a glossy sheen forms. Divide rice in half. Toss sesame seeds through half. Cover bowls with damp tea towels and set aside.
- To cook teriyaki beef, heat a large frying pan over a high heat. Add oil and cook marinated beef for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Set aside in a bowl.
- To make sandwiches, lay 4 nori sheets on a clean, dry surface, shiny side down, with a corner towards you. Place about ¹/₃ cup of the plain sushi rice in the centre of each sheet, flattening to a 1cm-thick rectangle shape. Top with wasabi, spinach, capsicum, teriyaki beef and avocado, and top with another ¹/₃ cup of the plain sushi rice. Fold nori edges up and over to encase filling, using a dab of water to help nori stick.
- Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap (you can gently press or add a slight weight to help compress them slightly) and set aside for 30 minutes.
- To make tofu sandwiches, follow the same method to layer sesame sushi rice, tofu, pumpkin and cabbage.
- Unwrap sandwiches, cut in half and serve with mayonnaise, soy, wasabi and pickled ginger.