Calling All Writers: Have your short story published in MiNDFOOD magazine
Due to popular demand, our short story competition has been renewed for 2022!
Each month, MiNDFOOD will publish one reader’s short story, with the best story published over the course of a year going on to win $1000. We are looking for unpublished stories from budding non-professional writers who may need a nudge to showcase their talent. Each month, the staff of MiNDFOOD will choose the best story to publish and, at the end of the year, will choose the award for Best Short Story.
To enter email your story – along with your name, address and telephone number – to [email protected] Entries need to be 2000 words in length and previously unpublished.
MiNDFOOD readers will also have the opportunity to vote for your favourite short story of 2022.
Terms and Conditions – MiNDFOOD Short Story
- Information on how to enter and prizes form part of these Terms and Conditions. Participation in this competition is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
- Entry is open to Australian and New Zealand residents only.
- The competition is a game of skill in which chance plays no part in determining the winners.
- To enter, individuals must, during the competition period, email your short story to [email protected] along with your full name, address and telephone number. The theme of the story is at the writer’s discretion.
- The entries need to be 2000 words, although 100 words either side is fine. Stories must be previously unpublished, and authors must be non-professional writers (must not have writing as their main form of income). No family members or relatives of staff member of MiNDFOOD are able to enter this award.
- Competition commences on 09/10/2010 AEST and closes on 15/10/2022 AEST. The judging will take place by 31/10/2022 at McHugh Media Australia Pty Ltd, 102/4-14 Buckingham Street Surry Hills NSW. Winners will be notified by email. The Promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The Promoter has one (1) prize money of AU$1000 for the Australian winner and one (1) prize money of NZ$1000 for the New Zealand winner.
- Total prize value is one (1) prize money of AU$1000 for the Australian winner and one (1) prize money of NZ$1000 for the New Zealand winner. The prize money will be transferred into the winner’s bank account. Prizes are not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash.
- Finalists’ entries will be published in MiNDFOOD magazine and possibly also on mindfood.com. Each month MiNDFOOD will publish one readers short story.
- Two weeks after the original decision has been made if any of the winners cannot be contacted, any unclaimed prizes will be awarded to the next best entry(ies) as judged by the promoter at the same place as the original judging, subject to any directions from a regulatory authority.
- The Promoter reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of entries and entrants (including an entrant’s identity and place of residence) and to disqualify any entrant who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these Terms and Conditions or who tampers with the entry process. Failure by the Promoter to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
- Incomplete or indecipherable entries will be deemed invalid.
- Only one entry permitted per person per month.
- If any prize is unavailable, the Promoter, in its discretion, reserves the right to substitute the prize with a prize to the equal value and/or specification, subject to any written directions from a regulatory authority.
- If this competition is interfered with in any way or is not capable of being conducted as reasonably anticipated due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter, the Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law (a) to disqualify any entrant; or (b) subject to any written directions from a regulatory authority, to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the competition, as appropriate.
- Any cost associated with accessing the competition is the entrant’s responsibility and is dependent on the Internet service provider used.
- Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, the Promoter (including its officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the competition, including, but not limited to, where arising out of the following: (a) any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not under the Promoter’s control); (b) any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference; (c) any entry or prize claim that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether or not after their receipt by the Promoter) due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter; (d) any variation in prize value to that stated in these Terms and Conditions; (e) any tax liability incurred by a winner or entrant; or (f) use of a prize.
- The Promoter collects personal information in order to conduct the competition and may, for this purpose, disclose such information to third parties, including, but not limited to, prize suppliers and as required, to Australian regulatory authorities. Entry is conditional on providing this information. The Promoter may, for an indefinite period unless otherwise advised, use the information for promotional, marketing and publicity purposes including sending electronic messages or telephoning the entrant. Entrants should direct any request to access, update or correct information to the Promoter. All entries become the property of the Promoter.
- The Terms and Conditions are subject to change at any time without notice.
- The Promoter is McHugh Media Australia Pty Ltd of 102/4-14 Buckingham Street, Surry Hills, NSW 2010. ABN 90 126 718 616