Please create an account
or Log in to subscribe


Subscribe to our RSS feeds Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Subscribe to our RSS feeds Watch us on Youtube View us on Instagram

Diary of a coronavirus-positive Kiwi in NYC: Day 2

Diary of a coronavirus-positive Kiwi in NYC: Day 2

Simone Nathan, a Kiwi living in New York, documents life in quarantine as she battles symptoms of COVID-19.

Diary of a coronavirus-positive Kiwi in NYC: Day 2

If you missed Day 1, read it here.

Day 2:

I woke up with a thunderclap headache and took an Advil. I sniffed a used sock –it smelled suspiciously unfooty. Another day of ‘can’t smell’ life.

The buzzer went off – someone was here to see me! A suitor? Papa? It turned out, as things so often do, to be an Amazon delivery guy. My new headphones had arrived. They looked like a headband but had little internal speakers built into them, designed for watching things while lying down without the indignity of a headphone penetrating one’s ear drum. I set them charging and anxiously awaited their first use. These could change everything.

I watched an Instagram Live of an alt New York comedian cutting her boyfriend’s hair with fabric scissors. It ended in chaos as she cut a section way too short near the front, dooming the rest of the haircut to a buzz cut. I went on Twitter and cried while reading a poem. I hate poetry. 

I tried ringing my boyfriend who lives in New Zealand. That’s right, I’m in a long distance relationship because I’m addicted to being lonely. With every ring I began to suspect he was asleep: a cutting personal attack. Perhaps it was because it was 3am there. Well in my world, it was time for work. This incidentally was the reason I didn’t return home. I’d have to get on daily calls at dawn like some kind of nocturnal freak; like the bat who invented coronavirus himself, who I for one want as little in common with as possible. Cancel him! Cancel that bat.

I broke the news of my condition to my coworkers. My boss said not to take any ibuprofen as they’d been rumoured to worsen symptoms of the virus. I checked the bottle of pills I’d been taking: they were ibuprofen. Live, laugh, love. 

Interestingly I began to discover my complete loss of taste did not stop me taking a great deal of time to fastidiously prepare each meal, salting and seasoning and exquisitely plating it – even though everything tasted like hot plastic. Now instead of enjoying the flavours of my food I simply had to settle for the joy of thinking ‘I bet this is yum’ as I chewed mouthful after mouthful of flavourless sustenance so I didn’t die.

That night, as I put on my new headphones and connected my phone by Bluetooth, a disembodied robot woman inside them said ‘Power On’. I was completely floored. Was this a statement about her battery status, or a choice word of encouragement towards me? My headphones were telling me to power on. Kia kaha, she said, in her own computerised way. My headphones and I were now in a de facto relationship. We could get through anything together. Suddenly, I didn’t feel so alone. 

I watched hours of ASMR: those weird internet videos where people tap on things and whisper to you, until I fell into a restful slumber – my cat purring next to me. She knew nothing of the quarantine and was just happy to have her only friend home with her all the time.

Read Day 3 of Simone’s coronavirus diary here.

Share on Facebook Pin on Pinterest Share by Email

Post a Comment

© MiNDFOOD 2020. All Rights Reserved

Web Design Sydney