To optimise workout results, replenishing the glycogen and amino acids lost during intense exercise is a must. Eating carbohydrates and proteins will enable your body to recover more quickly, increase protein growth and restore glycogen stores.
It’s important to eat within an hour of exercising, experts recommend – though the sooner the better. This speeds the recovery period up dramatically.
Remember also to drink plenty of water so your body can stay hydrated and regain the electrolytes lost during sweating.
10 foods to eat post-workout
- Brown rice
- Dark leafy greens
- Poached chicken
- Greek yoghurt
5 meals to eat post-workout
- Steamed broccoli, grilled chicken and mashed potato
- Cold salmon, cream cheese and a wholegrain bagel
- Poached eggs on wholegrain toast
- Crackers with avocado, tomato and tuna
- Granola with greek yoghurt and blueberries