Sydney has been announced as the next host city for Prince Harry’s Invictus Games, an international sporting event for injured veterans.
Featuring Paralympic-style multi sports events, the Games began in London in 2014. Since then, the Games have gone to Florida and will be in Toronto next year.
In making the announcement, Prince Harry mentioned how the world had been moved by the courage of the participants, as they overcame their challenges in order to compete. “The Invictus Games have shown us what can be achieved when wounded, injured and sick servicemen and women rediscover their fighting spirit through sport,” said the Prince. “We have all been inspired.”
In deciding where the Games should be held, the Invictus Foundation had three criteria. The host city needed to be iconic, with a proud military history, and its people would really get behind the competitors. “It was an easy decision really”, said the Prince, “The 2018 Invictus Games are coming to Sydney”.
Paralympic gold medallist and former combat engineer Curtis McGrath will be an ambassador for the Sydney Games. McGrath suffered traumatic injuries when he stepped on an improved explosive device in Afghanistan in 2012, but went on to compete in the Games in Florida. “We have been through trauma,” he said, “But we can get together and support each other throughout the games. We are using the power of sport to help us get better.”
You can find out more about the Invictus Games Foundation here
— Invictus Games (@WeAreInvictus) November 12, 2016