Former TV reporter, Rolf Harris, is being released from prison in the UK later today.
Harris is on trial at London’s Southwark Crown Court, where he has pleaded not guilty to four counts of indecent assault relating to girls aged between 13 and 16 in the 1970s and 1980s.
The 87-year-old has been appearing in court via video link from Stafford Prison. The jury of seven women and five men has been told Harris was due to be released on Friday and an application for balance relating to his ongoing trial had been approved. Judge Deborah Taylor told the jury that her granting bail to Harris should have no impact on their decisions on the current charges.
“He will be attending what remains of this trial in person from Monday next week,” the judge said.
The court heard from the 1983 complainant that on New Year’s Eve that year, she was invited with her sister to a live screening of an entertainment show at the BBC Television Centre featuring Harris. The woman said that after the screening the children were invited into a room where Harris approached her at a drinks table. “I looked up and as I did he slid his hand right under my breast and said to me, ‘Do you often get molested on a Saturday morning?’
“I was in shock because I couldn’t comprehend really what had just happened. He left quite quickly and I just stood there for a while”.
She also added that after Harris was convicted in his first trial in 2014 there was a ‘chance I might be vindicated’, which led her to contact police.
Two more indecent assault charges relate to allegations Harris groped the breast of a 16-year-old girl and ran his hand up between her thighs in the back of a taxi at a celebrity sports event in Cambridge in 1978.