New Zealander, Australians kidnapped in Nigeria

By MiNDFOOD

The incident happened just outside Calabar, Nigeria. Photo: Google Maps
The incident happened just outside Calabar, Nigeria. Photo: Google Maps

Two Australians and a New Zealander have been kidnapped in Nigeria in an attack that left a local driver dead.

The three were in a group of contractors, working for cement company Lafarge Africa, who were snatched on the outskirts of Calabar on Wednesday, local police said.

Irene Ugbo, a spokeswoman for Cross River state police, said two of the kidnapped had managed to flee. She she did not know the nationality of the workers still being held.

The kidnappers had yet to contact police, she said.

Lafarge Africa said it had been informed of the incident by Australian contractor Macmahon.

“Macmahon is working with the security agencies to resolve this situation,” Viola Graham-Douglas, a spokeswoman for Lafarge Africa, said.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

BECOME A MiNDFOOD SUBSCRIBER TODAY

Let us keep you up to date with our weekly MiNDFOOD e-newsletters which include the weekly menu plan, health and news updates or tempt your taste buds with the MiNDFOOD Daily Recipe.