Looking to upcycle your leftover coffee jar? Moccona has made it easy to hone your crafting skills with their six new limited edition decorated jars, each featuring inspiring quotes to brighten your day.
Take a look at our how-to guides to making a homemade herb garden and gourmet recipe gifts.
Homemade gourmet gifts
Gourmet recipe jars make wonderful and easy gifts. Simply store ingredients in the jars and pour them out when its time to cook.
To make it look extra impressive, layer up your ingredients, attach a recipe card around the top and finish it off with some ribbon or twine.
Please note: Moccona jars are for storage of ingredients only, not to be used in cooking or for hot liquids.
Here are 3 recipe ideas to get you started:
Comforting barley soup
1/2 cup pearl barley
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes
1/2 tbs onion powder
1/2 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs dried basil
1/2 tbs dried oregano
1/2 tbs dried parsley
1 cube vegetable stock (crushed into powder)
- Add all ingredients, 2 cups of water and 1 can of diced tomatoes into a saucepan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Season to taste and serve with croutons.
Decadent hot chocolate
1/2 cup hot chocolate powder
1/4 cup dark chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup small marshmallows to serve
- Heat 2 tbs of hot chocolate mix and 1 cup of milk in a saucepan on a medium heat.
- Stir until all ingredients have dissolved.
- Pour into mug and top with whipped cream and marshmallows.
This recipe can be made in bulk and split across multiple jars as a ready-to-eat snack.
2 cups organic rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbs maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbs coconut oil, melted
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a large tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, almonds, coconut flakes, cinnamon and salt. Add coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla and mix.
- Pour mixture onto the baking tray and bake until oats are lightly toasted.
- Leave to cool before pouring into jars.
DIY Herb garden
A herb garden is one of the most popular jar upcycling ideas and with good reason. They’re simple to make and add the perfect touch of greenery to your kitchen.
Follow our easy steps to create your own herb garden:
- Clean your Moccona jar with warm soapy water and dry.
- Add a handful of small pebbles to the bottom (this ensures water can drain adequately).
- Fill halfway with potting mix then plant the herb of your choice.
- Top with remaining potting mix, press down gently and water lightly.
- Wrap twine around the top and attach a card as a label. Add plant care tips on the back of the label to remember the best watering and sunlight conditions.
- Chives, mint and parsley are easy to grow indoors. Chives and parsley like sunny spots, while mint grows best in indirect light.
- Fertilising shouldn’t be necessary but if you like, you can feed the plants a half-strength liquid fertiliser every couple weeks.
The upcycling ideas are published in good faith and for general information purposes only. Please take care when handling the glass Moccona jars and use third party products in accordance with their instructions.