As an illustrator, designer, brand collaborator and founder of Makers’ Mrkt, Kelly Thompson is known for having fabulous taste. She shares with STYLE her favourite gift ideas from her amazing online marketplace.Â
1. For a great gift under $80 that is also easy to post to a loved one, and perfect for those in iso or those needing some “me time”, the Hold and Release incense holder or Find Your Centre incense holder teamed with some Subtle Bodies natural incense is great. They also make for a stylish object that suits any decor and any aged receiver.
2. Slowdown Studio blankets are always really popular. They team up with artists from around the world and release limited-edition blankets that also make great wall hangings, picnic blankets and decorative throws – they’re usable art really.
3. If you’re wanting something special, one of my favourite art pieces is the White Desert Egypt by New Zealand photographer Chris Sisarich. I have it in my office and could stare at it for hours. Not only are the colours beautifully soft peaches and beiges (an easy match for any interior), there is just something so surreal about the scene, you can’t help but stare at it and make up stories about what’s going on.
4. For those trying to be more eco-conscious and cut down on plastic packaging, we have a collection of soap dishes by two New Zealanders, Deborah Sweeney and Wundaire all made by hand. Team these with the deliciously fragranced Fazeek soaps and they make a great duo! Fazeek soaps are vegan, hand made and completely free of nasties.
5. For those who love colour, one of my favourite makers is Drew Spangenberg, he makes incredible glass pieces that have an air of 70s glam. My favourites are his Ensemble Bottles – use them as objects purely for object sake, or as decanters.
6. For those in doubt, we also sell gift vouchers online!