To combat the anxiety around the festive time of the year it’s important to focus on keeping it simple, tuning into your own needs and taking the stress out of situations you know can cause the most anxiety.
If you live with anxiety or depression consider following these tips to help you keep on track and ease the strain.
- Gifts – Don’t over-spend or over-commit.
- Events – Where possible, avoid hosting. If you have to, don’t put pressure on yourself to be a master chef. Serve up finger food and ask guests to bring a plate too. There’s no shame in asking for help from friends.
- Decorations – Keep it simple. Don’t get sucked into lighting the house up like the Griswold’s!
- Meditate or practice mindfulness to ensure mental wellbeing.
- Keep a journal – Write down what’s happening for you.
- Exercise – Partake in light daily exercise and basic stretching. Get out in the morning, walk, breathe.
- Focus on what you are grateful for today.
If you have a mental health concern, consult your GP, therapist or psychiatrist and have a plan for the busy Christmas period. Consider how to cope with a relapse or emergency.
If you need crisis support, call 24/7 Helpline Lifeline Australia on 13 11 14 or New Zealand Lifeline 0800 543 354