Remove yourself from the grind of loud thoughts by creating a stylish in-home winter sanctuary where ideas and inspiration can thrive with these top tips.
- BeddingÂ – bedding with natural warming properties like goose or wool can look good and feel great. For sheets, flannelette is the go-to option, with woollen blankets giving that extra layer of cosiness in bed. For really cool nights, use a bedspread as a final layer of warmth before finishing up with a faux fur throw.
- Layering- nothing says cosy like curling up under a big, heavy blanket. Introducing rich textures such as velvet, faux fur or wool are perfect, with interesting fabrics easily winterising a room. A throw over the back of your couch or on the foot of your bed creates a sense of warmth, with soft velvet cushions adding to the luxe cosiness.
- LightingÂ – since it gets dark earlier in winter, creating a cosy space during the season is all about finding the right lighting. Swap cool white globesÂ for warm white or incandescent globes to create a relaxed nook. For further ambience, fill your room with candles to help you unwind on those chillier nights.
- Colours – moody hues may be the go-to when the temperature drops, but this winter, try embracing some softer and unexpected colours such as blush, mustard and khaki. Timber is also a great way to add texture to your space.
- Flooring – the easiest way to warm up a room is to add a statement rug to it. Pick a new colour palette and invest in a rug as a focal point; earthy tones are particularly good for creating a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Credits for main image: Wall, fromÂ left: Pierre Freyâ€™s â€śNubemâ€ťÂ wallpaper in Nubem fromÂ Atelier Textiles; â€śEvocativeâ€ťÂ paint from Valspar. Bed:Â Sleepyhead SanctuaryÂ Couture Madison Queen,Â $10,999, available fromÂ Farmers. On bed, from back:Â Forest linen EuropeanÂ pillowcase, $99 each;Â Cinnamon linen pillowcase,Â $135 per pair; HydrangeaÂ linen pillowcases, $145 perÂ pair; Forest linen cushion,Â $115; Smoke grey fittedÂ sheet, $119 (king-size);Â Smoke grey flat sheet, $150Â (king-size); Cinnamon linenÂ bedspread, $660; SlateÂ linen bedspread, $660; allÂ from Thread Design. Bench:Â Won Tip Top Bench, $1032,Â from Maytime; CinnamonÂ crocodile cushion, $115; andÂ Mohair throw, $289, bothÂ from Thread Design. ItalianÂ Leather overnight bag, $960Â from Leopold Hall. InteriorsÂ Feuille Chandelier in Gold,Â $1265, from CC Interiors.