Citrus fruits not only taste delicious, they have a ton of health perks, too. Adding limes, lemons, oranges, grapefruits and other citrus fruits to your diet will boost your health in a number of ways. We’ve rounded up just a few of the positives these zesty fruits carry, as well as some of our favourite MiNDFOOD citrus recipes.
- Citrus contains a significant amount of vitamin C, which is immune-boosting and enhances the absorption of iron in food. Vitamic C also enhances the functionality of the antioxidant catechin.
- Citrus fruits have a high water content – oranges are 87% water – meaning they increase hydration
- Citrus promotes heart health through the flavanoids it carries
- Citrus has a high potassium content, which balances minerals and regulates fluids
- Citrus won’t greatly increase your blood sugar level due to its low glycemic index score
- Citrus also contains various other minerals, including phosphorous, B vitamins, copper and magnesium
Tasty citrus recipes
Lemon: Lemon Slice
Grapefruit: Quick Grapefruit Marmalade