Here are five more reasons you should have a pineapple a day (well, almost).
1. It keeps your gums healthy. One glass of pineapple juice provides 105% of your vitamin C needs for the day. Because of this, eating the fruit lowers your risk of periodontal disease.
The disease, which destroys gum tissue and underlying jaw bones, has been linked to heart disease, stroke and type two diabetes.
2. It boosts eyesight. Whilst carrots help keep your eyes bright and healthy, new research suggests that fruit is even more important for eye health.
Eating three or more servings of fruit a day may lower the risk of age-related macular degeneration by as much as 36% according to a study in Archives of Ophthalmology.
Adding more pineapple to your diet will give you more of the antioxidants you need to slow the development of this sight-robbing condition.
3. It regulates blood pressure. Pineapple contains potassium citrate, which has the ability to control blood pressure by counteracting the debilitating effects of excessive sodium consumption.
4. It helps prevent cancer. Pineapple stem, which can be steeped into tea, prevents cancer cell proliferation.
It’s suggested its active compound, bromeliad, can be used as a chemopreventive agent against the notoriously aggressive colon cancer.
The fruit can also act against prostate cancer.
4. It boosts fertility. Pineapples are rumoured to improve uterine lining and reduce inflammation caused by endometriosis, which may increase your chances of conceiving naturally.