As the end of the year looms, pressure builds and the work week can feel extra stressful. Practicing breathing techniques will help ease you into the weekend and ensure you feel fresh and restored come Monday morning.
Start by trying these 8 simple steps to relax and unwind.
- Find somewhere quiet and sit or lie with your gaze softened or your eyes closed
- Focus on the moment you are in right now and clear your mind of any lingering thoughts
- Relax the body, allowing it to sink into the chair or floor. Let your hands fall by your side
- Turn your attention to the breath, experiencing each inhale and exhale as it passes
- Notice the movement in your chest and belly as each breath flows throughout
- Don’t try to change the pace or depth of your breath; acknowledge it for what it is and let it go
- If your mind begins to wander, return your concentration to the breath
- Once you have been seated for approximately ten minutes, bring your attention back to the present moment and let yourself begin to notice the sounds around you.
While dedicating 10 minutes every day to mindful breathing is necessary for longterm results, even just trying the following breathing techniques once or twice will make a difference.