Please create an account
or Log in to subscribe


or


Subscribe to our RSS feeds Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Subscribe to our RSS feeds Watch us on Youtube View us on Instagram

Cyclone Debbie: Eye of the storm hits north Queensland

Strong wind and rain from Cyclone Debbie is seen effecting trees at Airlie Beach, located south of the northern Australian city of Townsville, March 28, 2017. AAP/Dan Peled/via REUTERS

Cyclone Debbie: Eye of the storm hits north Queensland

43,000 homes are without power as Cyclone Debbie makes its way through North Queensland.

Cyclone Debbie: Eye of the storm hits north Queensland

Howling winds, heavy rain and huge seas pounded Australia’s northeast on Tuesday, damaging homes, wrecking jetties and cutting power to thousands of people as Tropical Cyclone Debbie tore through Queensland state’s far north.

Wind gusts stronger than 260 km per hour (160 mph) were recorded at tourist resorts along the world-famous Great Barrier Reef as the powerful storm, at category four just one rung below the most dangerous wind speed level, began to make landfall.

No injuries had been reported so far but the storm was traveling southwest so slowly that weather forecasters said cyclone conditions could persist for as long as 24 hours.

“It’s very noisy: Screaming, howling wind … sounds like a freight train,” Jan Clifford told Reuters by text from Airlie Beach, about 950 km (590 miles) northwest of the state capital, Brisbane.

Authorities had urged thousands of people in low-lying areas to flee their homes on Monday, in what would be the biggest evacuation seen in Australia since Cyclone Tracy devastated the northern city of Darwin on Christmas Day, 1974.

Cyclone Debbie made landfall at Airlie Beach shortly after midday local time (0200 GMT), knocking out telephone services.

Torrential rain flooded streets and wind smashed windows, uprooted trees and tossed debris through streets, while jetties at Airlie Beach marina were wrecked, pictures broadcast on Nine Network television showed.

Power was cut for 38,000 people in a wide area between the towns of Bowen and Mackay, north and south of Airlie Beach, utility Ergon Energy said.

Ports at Abbot Point, Mackay and Hay Point were shut, Townsville airport was closed and airlines Qantas, Jetstar, Rex and Virgin Australia canceled several flights to and from the region.

BHP Billiton and Glencore halted work at their coal mines in the storm’s path.

“IT’D BE FUN, THEY SAID”

The cyclone had earlier swept through the Whitsunday islands further east, where tourist resorts were damaged and boats torn from moorings, guests told Reuters by phone. Television pictures showed churning seas had washed away once-idyllic beaches.

Cyclone Debbie is the most powerful storm to hit Queensland since Cyclone Yasi destroyed homes and crops and devastated island resorts in 2011.

“The eye itself is probably 50 km (30 miles) across,” said senior forecaster Adam Blazak.

A tidal surge was expected to flood low-lying areas near Mackay as the storm whipped up waves and currents and lifted sea levels.

Authorities said it was too dangerous to venture outside and assess damage. Emergency response crews were also hunkered down until the storm blew over.

“It is going to take a long time, well into this afternoon and to the evening before these winds even start to die down,” Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk told Australian Broadcasting Corporation television.

“I’m so glad we got evacuated out of the place we were staying it, I think we’d be pooping watermelons right now to be honest,” he said.

Despite issuing evacuation orders, police told Reuters they were not sure how many people had heeded their advice. Only about 400 people went to cyclone shelters as the winds gathered strength, making it more dangerous to venture outside.

That did not deter some thrill-seeking bodyboarders who paddled out to surf in the heaving seas at Airlie Beach, television footage showed.

Police blamed the wild weather associated with the storm for a traffic accident on Monday in which a 31-year-old female tourist was killed.

(Editing by Paul Tait)

Update:

One man has been “hurt badly” after falling under a collapsing wall in Proserpine. He has been taken to hospital.

Queensland Premier, Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced that more than 45,000 homes are without power and there has been reports of serious damage to structures in Proserpine.

“This is a dangerous cyclone,” she said. “People must stay indoors. Please do not go outside, and please contact the emergency services for assistance. When they can help you over the phone they will.”

Mackay has narrowly missed out on the full force of Cyclone Debbie, with the storm surge passing, according to a spokesman for the bureau of meteorology.

 

Share on Facebook Pin on Pinterest Share by Email

Post a Comment

© MiNDFOOD 2017. All Rights Reserved

Web Design Sydney

0 Shares
Share
Tweet
+1
Share
Pin