Jing Song, the managing director of innovative wine brand Crown Range Cellar, picks her top five wines from the collection:
Signature Selection, Grant Taylor Central Otago Pinot Noir 2013.
– Judged the best pinot noir in the world, and awarded Gold Outstanding and the most prestigious Pinot Noir Trophy by the UK-based International Wine and Spirit Competition (IWSC) in 2015.
– Jo Burzynska, a panel chairwoman at the IWSC, said: “this limited release wine made for Crown Range Cellar by Central Otago wine veteran Grant Taylor unfurls to reveal beautifully textured black cherry fruit, infused fragrant notes of spice, herb, forest floor and smoke”.
– Grant Taylor: “A bright lively ruby colour. Very open floral and spice aromatics with a background of ripe mulberry fruit. There is also a hint of sweet earth minerality adding yet another layer of complexity. Great concentrated fruit on the palate, the texture is pure Pinot Noir, soft silky and sinewy. 2013 is considered one of New Zealand’s greatest vintages, this is an exceptional wine showing what an exceptional vintage 2013 was.”
The Voyage, Central Otago Pinot Gris 2014.
– Conceptualised by Jing Song on a long haul flight, the design of The Voyage wine series collection of new labels will appeal to people who dream big and embrace life with travel, discovery and a ‘forever young’ attitude. Reminiscent of rock and roll, black leather and the open road, the smoky black labels inspire fearlessness, wild spirits and a love of living.
– The wine has notes of freshly baked spiced apple pie, with rich pineapple fruit, layers of crisp apples, luscious pears and white peaches.
The Voyage, Nelson Sauvignon Blanc 2014.
– Nelson produces an elegant, restrained expression of sauvignon blanc, displaying lovely texture and minerality alongside crisp, vivacious tropical fruit with fresh herbal nuances.
The Voyage, Waipara Riesling 2014.
-Waipara is the new home of great riesling. This is a richly concentrated and luscious wine with floral notes and flavours of fresh apple, nectarine and zingy citrus.
Dolce Vita, Late Harvest Riesling 2015.
– Crown Range Cellar ‘Dolce Vita’ presents a taste of the sweet life, filled with floral, spice, roses, orange blossom and apricot aromas, round and sweet on the palate with ripe fruit flavours.
– Perfectly balanced acidity in the residual sugar. The mid-harvest rains in the Waitaki brought with them a classic botrytis infection which is found most notably and desirably in the riesling.