Christmas foods you should never feed to your pets

Christmas foods you should never feed to your pets
Furry friends love Christmas too, and are especially fond of festive food.

But not all grub is safe to slip under the table to our pets.

In fact, some Christmas staples are toxic to cats and dogs and should not be fed to them under any circumstances.

PETstock vet Dr Teresa Priddle has put together a Christmas food ‘naughty’ and ‘safe’ list to help keep our pets healthy this holiday season.


  • Chocolate – Cacao seeds contain a compound called theobromine which is toxic to cats and dogs. If consumed, it can cause them serious illness or death.
  • Raisins and grapes – These can be fatally toxic to dogs even in the smallest quantities. Keep your pooches away from pudding and cake.
  • Macadamia nuts – They are also poisonous to dogs and can cause vomiting, weakness, fever, muscle tremors and depression.
  • Onions – Ingestion of onions can contribute to stomach upsets or anaemia.
  • Under-cooked meat – Just like humans, pets can suffer the effects of eating under-cooked meat, especially chicken.
  • Pork, bacon and ham – Some pork products contain a high amount of fat, which can lead to illnesses like pancreatitis.
  • Alcohol – Allowing our pets to consume alcohol can cause alcohol toxicity or even seizures.
  • Milk and dairy products – Dogs’ bodies are not designed to process dairy; it can lead to stomach upsets, vomiting and diarrhoea.
  • Lollies – Sweets loaded with sugar can disrupt your pet’s metabolism, and can even cause diabetes when consumed in high amounts.


  • Meat – De-boned leftover beef or chicken is safe for pets as long as it’s enjoyed in moderation and isn’t combined with any foods from the naughty list.
  • Fruit – Small amounts of fruits such as oranges, apples, bananas and watermelon are healthy treats for dogs. Ensure all seeds are removed and avoid stone fruits.
  • Vegetables – Vegetables including carrot sticks, sweet potato, green beans, cucumber, pumpkin and zucchini can also be consumed by canines.

Be careful not to let Christmas guests who may not know what is on the naughty list sneakily feed your pets. It’s safest to remove animals from the area in which you’re eating at meal-times. If you fear your pet may have consumed one of the toxic items, call a vet immediately for further diagnosis and treatment.

Now that you know how to stop your pet from munching on toxic leftovers, find out how to prevent them from attacking the Christmas tree here.


Print Recipe


Let us keep you up to date with our weekly MiNDFOOD e-newsletters which include the weekly menu plan, health and news updates or tempt your taste buds with the MiNDFOOD Daily Recipe. 

Member Login